The Drupal CMS provides a robust set of tools for anyone looking to get a site up and running in a short amount of time. All you need to do is download Drupal, setup a theme on a hosting provider, and essentially you have a website up and running. Very easy, affordable, and simple, right? Often times something that is overlooked is how the “voodoo” or “black magic” makes that site work under the hood. One of those “voodoo” items in particular that I see overlooked often is how Apache, .htaccess, and Drupal all work together in keeping a custom site configuration in-sync.
This year I was lucky enough that Trekk, the company I work for, sent me An Event Apart, San Francisco. Participating in day one of the presentations thus far I can honestly say that I have a new enlightened understanding of how important specific design features are to the development cycle - that I often in the past took for-granted. Some of these features that I now have a deeper appreciation for are Typography and UX strategies and how they relate to the success of your service.
Google is expanding it's outreach for their Glass platform to the community by providing more and more accessibility through their explorer program. Google now offers access to the Glass Explorer Program without having to go to Google and pick up the glasses personally. Trekk, my employer, saw this as an opportunity to get involved in shaping the way augmented reality is experienced on Glassware by ordering a pair and getting our technical department involved right away.
I ran into a strange problem the other day while I was working. I was developing a iPad photo application that included the functionality of selecting photos from your camera roll and taking images from the device's camera. I first developed the functionality to pull up the camera, take a photo, and save it to a UIImageView in the ViewController, this worked great and I did not think anything was up. However, when I developed the functionality to pull up the camera roll and select a photo to assign to the UImageView, the app kept crashing with a strange error I'd never seen before.